Sunday, June 26, 2005

35 Years Today!

I was a teen in love. I was goo-goo-eyed over the tall handsome, blue eyed boy that was my friend in band. We laughed a lot. We kissed a lot! We even cried when we discussed the differences in our "religions." We were both cofc but he was from the background of non sunday school and I was just your regular cofc. We made decisions based on much prayer and communication. We worked through our understandings at the time to emerge stronger and more in tune with each other and our faiths. We found our own ground in the Lord, standing together.

My how time flies! It was only yesterday it seems that I was standing at the altar, singing with this young man who made my heart flutter at the slight look, or the touch of the hand on my arm. We were so in love.

The greatest thing, we are still in love. In fact that love has so matured and grown that even when we are angry, sad, irritable, we still love each other. There is so much security in our relationship. We still enjoy each other's company and I still get a flutter when he touches me. We share so much. Our lives, our hopes, our dreams and our hearts.

I sometimes worry that my larger body bothers him, but he assures me we are both different and have changed over the years. We are happy to be in the same room together, whether we are talking, watching TV, reading in bed, or sitting on the porch and watching it rain. We are in sync. We love each other. We play well together. We were made for each other!

Thank you God for the treasure in Tollie that you gave me 35 years ago. I pray I have polished and nurtured and loved this treasure and that you will give me more than 35 more years to love this man.

3 comments:

Neal said...

Happy Anniversary you guys! I'm about to celebrate our 5th...and I'm supported and encouraged by holy couples like yourself who have honored their lifelong commitment. I'd also like to hear your story about the church merger you've been through. Sounds interesting. God bless,

-NW

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversay mommy and daddy! I am so blessed to have your example of steadfast love. Thanks for the stability that you have provided in my life. Glad you are so in love even to this day!
Love,
Mindy

Hugo said...

Congrats as well - my wife and I'll be celebrating our 10th this December . . . we're almost catching up to y'all! :-)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo