Tuesday, November 01, 2005

ANTICIPATION!

I am counting the days for Thanksgiving. I was told once that if you look too much to the future, you lose the days of the present. I guess that could be true, but I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving and I don't want anything to get in the way.

So.....I am a little ticked at my dad for scheduling his surgery for the Monday before Thanksgiving!!!! I know he is having trouble and wants to get it done as soon as possible, but I think in all this I am mainly concerned that he is having this type of surgery to begin with. He believes he is going to live forever and is so determined to do whatever to get him to that point!

My dad has had some recent problems with cervical neck herniation. It started only a few months ago and when he saw a neurosurgeon, he immediately wanted to do surgery. Of course, he told him it was no hurry and it was an elective surgery! I told my sister I would like to check and see if the doc has just bought a new Mercedes or something! As far as I know, no other modalities have been tried. So why the hurry to do surger? It will be a three hour surgery, complicated with metal plates, screws, cages and done posteriorly, which I understand is not usually done, at least according to the articles I have read. He will have a long recovery time. He will have to wear a neck collar for some time and it could take up to six months for full recovery and again, according to the articles I have read, will never be the same. When you fuse the spine, it is never "like it was." My dad is 82 years old! The biggest thing is he is in no pain! He has some numbness and tingling in his arms and hands. And he is having a little trouble walking from a dragging foot. Those are his symptoms!

So.....I ask for prayers for my dad. I ask for prayers of wisdom and an open mind to other solutions to try. I ask for prayers for my mom who is there to take care of him. I ask for prayers for my sister, who just broke her ankle and is now on crutches. She plans to be there for the surgery, but is unsure at this point. I ask for prayers for me. I have given mother and daddy a choice of my being there for the surgery, coming in one day and leaving the day after the surgery or coming a week later and spending the week to help them out. It is in their hands. But I have told them, I will be home on Wednesday before Thanksgiving!

How cold and hard you say? Well, my daughter's boyfriend is coming for Thanksgiving and is bringing his mother. We have never met and I am so anxious to visit with her. We have e-mailed and I know we will be friends immediately! The Lewis', Lavonne, Trent, Mindy, the kids and g-kids and us! A houseful, but a house full of love and laughter and games and enjoyment. I have pictured it for so long and especially after Rita came through and we wondered if it would even take place. Now......I am counting the days in anticipation of a fun time.

3 comments:

Hoots Musings said...

Peggy,
I don't think you are being unreasonable wanting your family at your house for Thanksgiving.

I had no idea your dad was 82! I was in Lubbock last week cleaning out my sister's garage of my mother and dad's things and went through pictures. I found photos of your mom and dad at my parents house dressed up for Halloween.
Bill Dawson was dressed like an Indian, and your dad was a mummy. Too cute.

Recommend your dad get a second opinion. Who is the surgeon?
I understand your plight!

Peggy N Texas said...

For Hoots,
I did sugggest he get a second opinion and he said he didn't think he needed one. I really don't know who the neurosurgeon is. I know his heart surgeon is Dr. Borno and there is still a chance he may say no to the surgery. Dad is scheduled to have a doppler on the 14th. I can only hope they will delay the surgery and just say not right now.

I have put it in the hands of the Lord and know he will take care of it. Thanks for your encouragement. Peggy

Lucy Stern said...

Peggy, Did your dad get a second opinion? You might suggest that he see a chiropractor before he gets surgery. I was having some numbing in my arm at night and I went to the chiropractor and had some adjustments for two months and now the numbing has gone away. I have always heard that surgery is a last resort.. Please make sure he gets a second opinion and sees a chiropractor.

I would go ahead and have your Thanksgiving. You can work around your dad's surgery. It is important to have your family around and meet your new family to be. Don't feel guilty.