Tuesday, September 25, 2007

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS

I was cleaning today and began to ponder. That is dangerous, I know. My pondering led me to some questions I have had for some years now. I really don't expect many to respond to these questions, because I don't think I have that many who read my blog. I find I have some lurkers and that is okay. But I really, really need some help in defining these questions and answering those that can be answered.

You see, I don't believe that some of these questions can be answered by mere mortals. I believe we live in a society which does not understand the spiritual world and therefore, may have opinions on these questions, but no real answers. Now, I could be wrong. I would like to think that there are answers to these questions, but so far I have not found any. So........here goes.

Does God "make" things happen, such as hurricanes, tornados, death of a person, etc.?

Does God "care about" my everyday happenings? In other words, does God really care if wear a certain dress or if I read a book or go to the store at a particular time?

Does God answer prayers directly or generically?

Does God give people burdens contrary to his teaching?

Does God change his mind?

If you have an answer or an opinion on any of these questions, please help me by posting a response. I honestly desire to have some discussion on these.

Notice I said discussions, no arguments and no pat answers, but deep thought out discussions that look at all angles.

Oh, have a great day in the Lord! :)

3 comments:

salguod said...

Found my way here from Keith Brenton's place.

These are some questions that I've wrestled with at times. I don't have the answers, but I've got some thoughts.

Does God "make" things happen, such as hurricanes, tornados, death of a person, etc.?

I think not usually, but sometimes. My general conviction is somewhat deist (God set the world in motion but doesn't act in it now), which bothers me, actually. I think God acts directly in the world, but not very often. I wrote a paper related to this a while ago, but the conclusions are incomplete, I think. The bottom line is that I think He acts in the world more often than I give Him credit for, but not nearly as often as many believe.

Does God "care about" my everyday happenings? In other words, does God really care if wear a certain dress or if I read a book or go to the store at a particular time?

Same answer, not usually but sometimes. :-) I've come to see that God knows what we cannot - that nearly everything that happens 'down here' don't matter much at all. From what to wear today to terminal cancer, it is all temporary and fleeting. More important is knowing him. I don't think he cares if you take the highway or the street, wear the red dress or come down with HIV nearly as much as he does about knowing you and you knowing him.

Does God answer prayers directly or generically?

Both.

Does God give people burdens contrary to his teaching?

What do you mean? Does he call folks to do something sinful? Nope. Does he allow us to go through really tough stuff that seems unloving? Yep.

Does God change his mind?

No, although it may seem that he does. What may seem like a change of mind may simply be stage 2 in the original plan. We just didn't know there was a stage 2 coming. :-D

Peggy N Texas said...

Hey, Salguod,
Thanks for visiting and answering my questions. I have not been to my blog in a few days so was not ignoring you on purpose :).

Thanks so much for your input. I am still mulling on these questions and not sure I can have pat answers quite like yours. But they are contributing to my thoughts.

Thanks again and welcome back anytime.

Peggy

Anonymous said...

Hey, Peggy -

I've been dropping by here for a while, but you've been awfully quiet after throwing out all of those difficult questions!

Hope to have you back soon. I miss you!

Dee
of Finding Direction: The Wind Vane Chronicles