Tuesday, March 11, 2008

TO RUSSIA WITH LOVE


Tollie, my husband, friend, lover and companion of almost 38 years is off to Russia. Individuals in our con-gregation support children in an orphanage in Sharya, Russia (near Kostroma, northeast of Moscow) through the Hope Chest organization. Hope Chest has told us that we are one of a few churches that support a whole orphanage, especially for the size we are. There are about 26 children in the home and nearly all of them are supported by someone in our congregation or has been associated with our congregation in the past. So….every year, we send a team over to interact and work with the children.

Russia has too many orphans. Each year there are over 40,000 orphans added to the orphanages. There are many reasons for this but often the reason is simple economics. A parent or parents cannot afford to house and keep their child and therefore they become a ward of the state. It is sad and many of these children are not true orphans but are bunched in that group. Hope Chest now runs about 40 orphanages, helping approximately 2400 orphans. The children range in age of pre-school of about 4 or 5 to about 15. When they turn 15 or 16 they are sent to a Resource Center in the town of Kostroma (for our orphanage, this is the place they go to) to learn skills and living independently. Otherwise, they would be turned out on the street and become drug addicts and prostitutes. Hope Chest is trying to change the life of the child to be independent and able to make a living. That is why sponsorship is so important to these children. But sponsorship only takes care of their physical needs and that is why we send a team to interact with these children. We hope to help their spiritual and emotional well being also and give them the ability to deal with life in those terms.

It is the responsibility of each team member going to Russia to raise their funds for travel. Unfortunately, this year, the costs of the land package is more and now it costs each individual about 2800$ to travel to Russia. Tollie has raised almost half of his support and is working on the other half. If God places it on your heart to help these orphans in a special way, you may send money to Christ Covenant Church, 6390 N Major Drive, Beaumont, Texas 77713 and indicate it is for Tollie Corder. I know you can pray for these orphans and please pray for the team traveling in March to touch the lives of these kids.

While my love is gone to Russia, I am planning to travel to Bethany, Missouri to spend the same amount of time with our baby daughter, Mindy. I arranged my flights to correspond with the Russia team so that I can travel to Houston with them and back to Beaumont. Tollie and I will be apart for over a week and I have a birthday in that time frame as well. So, please pray for us as we are apart. The only reason I can stand for us to go in different directions is my love for him and these kids, and my daughter!

I am looking forward to spending this lengthy time with Mindy and Trent. Mindy is planning to take a day off work and I plan to take some hand work with me and spend time cooking and enjoying Bethany and the surrounding area. Also, Mindy plans for us to attend a Women of Faith Conference in Omaha, Nebraska while I am there. I have never attended one, nor has she and we both are looking forward to this time of worship and fellowship with sisters in Christ. I am also excited as I have never been to Nebraska and that area of the country. I am already impressed with the beauty of Northern Missouri……as a place to visit! I am trying to pack for the 30 to 40 degree high days and of course lower at night temps. That will be hard to deal with as I am already enjoying 60 and 70 degree highs here and putting in our garden already! No planting there for another month or so! How do you pack coats, sweaters, handwork you are working on and gifts, all in one suitcase? I am trying though.

I hope your Spring time is going well and you are enjoying the Son at EASTER!

1 comment:

Charmed Mom said...

I hope that you will have a wonderful trip and visit with your family! I think that what Tollie is doing is fantastic and I am sure that he is blessed! What a wonderful ministry!

Happy Resurrection (aka Easter) Sunday to you and your wonderful family!