Monday, September 05, 2005

Great Labor Day Weekend!

I started Friday by baking cakes. I made four cakes to take to the building on Saturday. 60 cakes were to be delivered on Saturday and 60 on Sunday for a shelter housed in Lumberton. It will feed about 200 people. This is our part of helping in the disaster. Of course, we have thousands in our city and this is a small part of helping out.

I keep thinking God will send someone to stay with us, but as yet, all my efforts to house someone has not met results. I keep praying about it, and will continue to do so.

I keep thinking about my sister and brother-in-law. Tommy preached yesterday to a congregation suffering from great loss. Losing four members in a church is hard. These were four of their core senior members. They will be suffering for a while.

On Saturday, we ran errands and I cooked for my family. Mindy came in Saturday evening and the little g-kids stayed the night with us. We had lunch here on Sunday and had a birthday party for Ashton on Sunday evening. Ashton's birthday is not until the 13th of this month but because Mindy could come this weekend, we decided to have her birthday. On the 13th, Ashton will be five years old. Where did the time go? She had a great time, getting a new bike, new clothes and a new Bible!

This morning, Mindy has already left for Austin. She has to work this afternoon and so had to be on the road early. We had breakfast and then she left. I am taking the time now to do my reading and blogging, before Tollie gets on the computer and works on his schooling. He has some things he needs to do this morning. Then my plan for the day is to relax and work on my projects to get them done. I am getting close.

Labor Day was always a fun day for me growing up, but I could never understand why taking the day off for Labor!?! It didn't make sense to me. It is always refreshing to have a day of rest from our labors and I appreciate God giving up Sunday. We use to have a group that would cook out together before we went to do our hospital ministry, but these days we are scattered and don't seem to have "time" for that sort of gathering any more.

Tollie and I started our parenting class yesterday. I was a little disappointed that we only had a couple of people there, but it was Labor Day weekend. I hope this is not indicative of the next few weeks. It will be a long 13 week series! We began by telling our "story" and asking each of them to do the same. In other words to tell the type of family they grew up in, how many years married, how many children, etc. Mindy came into our class and it was fun to hear her tell of her expectations for marriage and children and her rebellious teen years! We all had a good laugh.

We plan to cover many aspects of the family including marriage, child raising during the pre-birth on up to grown children. I pray God will use us to reach those who want to know what the Bible says concerning all this and also the experiences of others in these areas. I think it will be a fun class.

Have a great week and a laborless labor day!

No comments: