Tuesday, September 06, 2005

WHAT IS IN A NAME?

I grew up thinking that if a person was not part of a church of Christ, he/she was not a true Christian. I believe my parents still have some remnant of this belief. However, for me I have come to believe we were wrong in that assumption because.......

Would believing that make the church the point of salvation, not Christ?

Would believing that cause us to put ourselves on a pedestal and believe we had arrived?

Would believing that take my focus off Jesus and point that focus on myself?

Yes, I believe the answer to each of these questions would be yes!!!!!

I was looking at a web page of a church. In my looking, I realized I was looking to see "what kind of church" they were. Is that a valid question? It hit me that if they were focusing on Jesus and him crucified, then what did it matter what flavor they were? They may do things differently than I do. They may have a different structure to their organization than I do, but in the end if they are looking to Jesus for salvation and reaching for answers from God, then who am I to determine they are not correct? Who gave me the authority to do that?

I don't know where they hail from. They just call themselves The People's Church. We call ourselves Christ Covenant Church. I think we are trying to say that we are generic. We don't have specific traditions to cause us to act a certain way. We are just trying to follow Jesus. In following Jesus, we are trying to point others to him as the only way to true happiness.

I pray we are doing a good job of that. I pray that my giving up my own traditions for Jesus is what it is all about. Does it really matter how we do things, as long as, first of all we do them and secondly we point to Jesus in all we do?. Are the issues really that important?

In light of the events in the last few days, I would gesture to say we focus on to many human aspects of this life and toss the spiritual. I pray I focus more on the spiritual today and put aside my human tendencies.

No comments: