Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Life is getting interesting

Our second daughter, Mindy, is in her early twenties. Old? Certainly not. But much older than I was when I married. She is the same age as her sister was when she married, or a little older anyway.

But I think we have finally arrived! We met her beau a couple of weeks ago and we really like him. Trent is a godly, wonderful young man just starting his career of ministry. He is the associate minister of a Union Christian church. A denomination I had never heard of but seems to be okay. Of course, that is hard to say since I have never been to one of their assemblies and I try to never judge someone else's family without being at least a visitor to that family.

That is one of my pet peeves, by the way, for people to judge and complain or gossip about a group of church members. If they are not a part of them, how would they know and why do they care? Anyway, Trent is starting his new job next week and I wish him well and want to give him lots of encouragement as he starts his new job.

How do I feel about my daughter being the wife of a minister of a Union Christian church? I'm not sure yet. Of course, he has not formally asked her but I think we knew this was coming early on......certainly before they admitted they were in love. I could see the differences in this relationship as compared to others. Mindy was allowing Trent to make all the moves. A big change for her. She was known as "make out Mindy" as a teen. And she seemed to make all the moves and choices for her last relationship, which ended badly, I might add. She will tell you herself that she cries when she thinks how toxic the relationship was. She had red flags all the time, but ignored them or just didn't want to see them. Fortunately, there have no red flags, no flags at all, to my knowledge. She is so confident and happy! That is the real change. She is not second guessing what is happening, she knows because they are talking and exchanging ideas and hopes and dreams. They are honest with their feelings and tell each other what is going on. That is a real change for her. I told her the other morning, "that is what real love is about" sharing and being able to be yourself. Her smile widened even more.

I think the best part is our family loves Trent and she knows it. So....she doesn't have to justify his actions to us. She can relax and know that we will get to know him in our time. I am so happy his family loved our Mindy, too. Of course, I knew they would.

Love is a happy time and young love, growing and changing and developing is happy to watch. Makes me re-think our love and want to refreshen it!

Have a happy, lovely day.

No comments: