Thursday, August 25, 2005

PERSPECTIVES!

It is interesting to me that no matter what you say, it depends on the other person's perspective as to how it can be taken. I know not everything matters in this regard, but in important things it does.

I have been dialoguing with my youngest concerning the relationship of her and her boyfriend. I will say something and depending on her perspective, she has to ask questions to make sure what I am saying. I know I assume too much sometimes and that causes a different perspective.

My point in saying this is how many times have I read the Word with a certain viewpoint or perspective in mind and taken it entirely out of context? It scares me to think that I can read the Word and not fully understand what is being said or how it is said because of the blinders I have on my eyes, in my heart and in my head.

I realize when we don't listen well and already have answers blocking the listening, then damage can occur. We become faulty in our decisions and can even be faulty in our convictions because of assumptions and differing perceptions.

We were asked in class once if the Word was truth? Of course! Also, if there was only one interpretation? I said a definite no and nearly every one else said yes. But we all interpret according to our own assumptions and perspectives. So how can we say there is one interpretation. There may well be one supposed interpretation but I find it hard to believe that there is only one and that when a certain passage is read it is interpreted the same by every reader. If that is the case, then why are there so many issues on the table and so many churches?

No comments: