Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Torn Between Two Choices!

Torn Between Two Choices! That's a song? Well, anyway, it is like being torn between two lovers! I have been torn the last few days, do I go to Lubbock for my aunt's funeral or stay here and go to Austin to have breakfast with my daughter and her boyfriend? This may not sound like a great choice but for me it turned out to be a huge decision. At one point, I was going to Lubbock, then on Monday night, decided not to go. I awoke Tuesday morning with the determination that I was going and called my sister to say I was and would let her know how and when. I worked all morning Tuesday trying to coordinate my flights for going and coming home before too late on Friday. The flights to come home were early Thursday or Saturday. The funeral is at 2:00 pm Thursday and I have to be in Austin Saturday. I could drive it, but why drive 12 hours and be beat when I arrive and beat when I return and then head to Austin?

Have you gotten the picture that Austin is a sure thing? It is. It is very important to me to spend whatever time we can with Trent and Mindy. Afterall, it is a future we are talking about here! By going to Lubbock, I am going not for Virgie, she is gone. I would be going for myself and for my parents. If going for my parents then I can go later, next month and spend more than one day with them. By doing that, it serves both. So....that is how I made my decision.

Now, my question is after praying about this and making this decision, did God give me the answer or did I just figure it out? This is where I would really like for God to have a direct line for answers like this one. Which is best, God? What advantages do you see, because you can see so much better than I can, for doing one over the other? Both decisions were right in their own way but finances did not allow me to do both. Not this time! At least not in my mind!

I have to say I appreciate my son-in-law so much. As I was explaining all this to him after class tonight, he said we could leave tonight and he would take me all the way to Lubbock and then Cheryl could bring me back to Abilene and he would take me to Austin. He was serious! I appreciated his offer, but I will stay home and let them leave for Abilene tomorrow when they had planned. He was willing to give up his plans for me. (Now, how can you get mad at someone for something like that?)

So.....here I sit wondering if Cheryl and Terrie made it to Lubbock, wondering how my parents are doing, wondering what relatives have come and who decided not to come and what cousins will I miss seeing? I will call my parents in the morning and wish them well for the day and give them my love. I will work tomorrow and then leave Friday to spend an hour with Mindy and Trent and then have Saturday night and Sunday with Mindy and come home. In a few weeks, I will go to Lubbock and spend more than one day with my parents and you know what? Life will go on and we will all be okay.

No comments: