Friday, June 24, 2005

Communication

I have been concerned, over the past few weeks, for the health of my mate. Tollie has not felt well from a cough that has lasted a long time and wears him out. He has gone to the doctor and is on medication. Part of the problem is the medication tends to smooth him out.

Our daughter noticed and brought to my attention recently that Tollie seems to "fade" when in a crowd. I had noticed it but her mention seemed to magnify what I already felt.

So.....we had a talk last night. A short one, not serious, not deliberate, but just talking. I voiced my concerns and he listened and we discussed possible causes and problems. Did we find solutions? Not really. Only possible solutions.

So why do I feel better today? We connected by our discussion. And the connection was more important than answers to our questions. Communication does connect us.

I know I need to be better at communication with my brothers and sisters at church as well. I have so long isolated myself for fear of hurt. My old tapes play and I don't want to go down that road again so I gently go on my merry way and watch from the sidelines. But this is not enough! I have to get in the game and bring along side me those in my circle and communicate/connect. Words are very powerful.

1 comment:

Neal said...

A minister I used to work with once told me that I shouldn't conneect with or get too close to people at church...it'll only lead to pain. I disagree, or the church ceases to be the church...but I understand. I understand how easy it is to shield ourselves from the pain. But I think we're called to put ourselves out there anyway. May you grow through the struggle.

And God bless you and your husband.