Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Drought in Texas

We are having a drought. It has not rained in a week and the temp has been in the mid 90's and the humidity has been down as low as 40% for a whole day. That is really unusual for Southeast Texas. It started out being hot, mid 90's in June. That usually doesn't happen until the end of July and August. It makes us wonder what it will be like in August! Hotter!?! I sure pray we get some relief soon.

Have you ever had a drought in your spiritual life? A time when there seems to be a ceiling right over your head that prayers cannot penetrate. A time when prayers come few and far between. A time when others around you are smiling and enjoying life and all you have is a gray cloud right over your head, causing the downturn of your mouth. A "mood" that cannot be laughed away. A funk so funky, you wonder if it will ever get better.

I have been in a spiritual drought for several years. We had a wonderful family where we had worshipped for 20 years. It seems that "family" turned inward and no matter how hard we tried to fight it, we could not get past perceptions. Perception or impression is an attitude or understanding based on what is observed or thought........often without knowing facts. There were people who perceived we had a belief contrary to our lives. But their perception was real to them. They could not get past it and everything they said or did was filtered through this perception.

It happens with teens. It happens between husbands and wives. It happens in churches. A perception can be so strong as to accuse, destroy, or be libal against another person.

I have finally begun to emerge from my drought. Little by little, the rain is quenching the thirst. It has been in spurts, not a deluge of a storm so I cherish every minute of the sprinkles. I think I need to change my perception as well! I can't accuse others of filtering through their perceptions without realizing I have my own.

Will it be hot in August? You bet, but can I depend on it being hotter than now because my perception is that if it is already hot in June it will be hotter in August?

What are your perceptions that need to be changed?

No comments: