Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Company coming!

I have told my children often not to assume anything. Assumptions can get you in trouble. I can think of so many times when I have been disappointed only because I made an assumption.

Specfically, I can remember going to my folks for vacation or a visit and making an assumption that certain things would happen. When these certain things did not happen or happened differently than I imagined, I was disappointed. I have learned over the years to not make assumptions. But I find I am still making assumptions!

I assumed in my mind the reason T & C were not coming! I assumed in my mind it would be best for them. Yet when C called yesterday, she was confused. She thought, or assumed, she had told me they were coming unless she called. I heard, or assumed, she didn't think they would be coming! Was this a lack of communication or what?!? Anyway, our plans for the weekend have changed again and we are expecting company. I am excited they are coming!

But this gets me to thinking/assuming? How many times have I taken scripture and made my own assumptions? Maybe a scripture or teaching I have heard all my life and make assumptions because of this! Is interpretation an assumption? Can I really interpret the mind of God? What do I do with what I read? Got me to thinking!

I pray that I make less assumptions about scripture and look at each reading with an ah ha experience.

No comments: