Friday, July 22, 2005

CASA and the Carnival

CASA stands for Court Appointed Special Advocate. I am a CASA volunteer and I work with a child who has been removed from her mother and placed and with CPS. I am the "voice" of the child. I search and research out the best possible options for the child. I present these options to the court and the judge uses my presentation to help him make his decisions. It is an awesome and resposible job that gives back a lot of fulfillment in the process.

I have only been a volunteer for about 1 1/2 years. I am still working on the same case at this time, but when this one is resolved (and hopefully that will be in the next six months) I will take on another case. I say I hope this one resolves because when a case resolves it means the child has a permanent home and hopefully that is where the child can grow and mature in the best situation.

CASA is having their summer carnvial tomorrow. We did last year's carnival and although it was hot and seemed a long morning, it was a great event. We have a booth and last year the booth was not that exciting. I am hoping this year's booth is fun! We are doing picture taking. I enlisted the help of my son-in-law and my husband to build me a backdrop and have the kids put their face in the body of a mermaid or a sea monster and we will take their picture. I hope to have pictures put here on Monday for you to see what I am talking about.

I am just praying the rain holds off tomorrow. Not that rain would be all that bad, especially a little sprinkle to cool things down but I am afraid my backdrop could run if it rains. We did it in acrylic paints and I don't want to lose the picture!

Have a great weekend. I plan to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning!!

Went back and read you last few entries--so VERY glad your backdrop is going to be in place--sounds so cute and the children will LOVE it...:-)

I am trying to find a time for the four of us to get together...I have NO complaints about all of our traveling schedules as the schedules permit us some much needed time away, time for growth and (sometimes :-) R& R) as well as loving interactions with family. Having said all of that...I STILL feel like it has been 100 years (ok, maybe 99!) since we have talked!!

If we do not connect BLESSINGS upon the CASA endeavors...

hugs

Dixie